No Pasta on the Shelves?... No problem!
How to make pasta at home with no equipment!
With Covid-19 the supermarket shelves are looking pretty sorry for themselves and one thing people are stocking up on is PASTA! Yes, pasta is one of the best staple things to keep in the cupboard. It’s so versatile and who doesn’t like pasta!
So, if you’re panicking that there isn’t any on the shelves, we’ve got your back. Here’s how to make pasta at home without a pasta machine or any other equipment.
- 2 eggs
- 140g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- Olive oil (optional)
What you need?
- A bottle of wine (or a rolling pin )
- Cling film.
- Make sure your surface is nice and clean & weigh out your flour.
- Pour your flour onto the work top to make a mountain of flour & hallow out a well in the middle.
- Pour the eggs in the centre of your well & season the eggs with a pinch of salt & a small touch of olive oil (this is optional).
- Grab a fork and begin to whisk the egg. Once the egg has been whisked up slowly start whisking the flour in from around the sides but be careful not to break the wall you’ve built!
- Once you have no runny egg left put your fork to a side and start using your hands to knead the dough and keep pushing all the flour into the dough..
- Once you start to notice your dough isn’t picking up any more flour push your excess dough to the side and continue to knead for a further 4-5 minutes. (squeezing & pushing).
How do I know when the dough is ready?
When you push down on the dough it should naturally contract a little bit.
- Roll your dough into a nice ball & coat the outside ever so slightly in a little bit of olive oil to avoid it drying out. Wrap it up in cling film and pop it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes get your dough out of the fridge and un-wrap it. Cut your ball in half as its easier to work with ½ at a time.
- Grab your rolling pin OR bottle of wine and roll the dough out nice and thin – make sure its even.
- Start to roll your dough up (like a pancake) and cut it up into strips to make tagliatelle!
- Repeat with the other 1/2 and then...
YOU ARE DONE. Add it to some boiling water and boil it for 1-2 minutes. When its ready it will float to the top of the pan!
Now the only thing you need to do is crack open your bottle of wine and try enjoy some social distancing! Good luck guys!