Shove Tuesday. #PANCAKEDAY. Has arrived!
What is Shrove Tuesday?
Shrove Tuesday or commonly known as Pancake day is a Tuesday in February or March which comes before Ash Wednesday – this marks the 40 days of lent leading up to Easter. Traditionally in the Christian religion this represents the time Jesus spent fasting in the desert. Hearty, fatty foods such as butter, eggs and fats would be used up. In other countries it is referred to as Mardi Gras or carnival day – the last day of ‘fat eating’. Mardi Gras translates from French as ‘Fat Tuesday’.
If you’re still on a rocking the new year health vibe or if you’ve got the sweetest tooth in the world, we’ve got you covered with some easy tasty recipes! Please see below...
1) Healthy banana pancakes!
- 2 ripe bananas Mash bananas in a bowl until smooth.
- 2 eggs Mix in eggs until smooth.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Mix in vanilla
- 70g quick cook coats Add in the oats!
- Season as you like! Fry in pan & enjoy J
2) Matcha Pancakes!
- 1 cup of allpurpose flour Mix flour, matcha powder & baking
- 1 tablespoon of matcha powder powder into a bowl.
- 2 teaspoons baking powder Add in milk, eggs and mix until smooth
- 1 cup cashew milk Add in vanilla extract and pinch of salt
- 1 egg Fry on medium heat & tuck in!
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
3) The Classic!
This is where most people head to the supermarket and buy a bottled mix. Remember guys this is literally flour, dried milk, sugar & eggs. Try make it yourself and see how easy it really is!
- 100g plain flour Sift flour into bowl
- 2 large eggs Mix in eggs and milk
- 300g milk Stir until smooth.
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil fry and add lemon and sugar. Yum!
4) Indulgent Chocolate pancakes!
- 100g plain flour Sift flour and cocoa power into bowl
- 30g cocoa powder Stir in sugar & baking powder.
- 2 large eggs Crack eggs into bowl
- 300ml milk Mix in milk until smooth
- 50g caster sugar Add touch of pinch of salt.
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 30g melted butter Heat pan with butter to cook.
- Pinch of salt.
- We recommend blueberries & syrup for an extra sweet flavour.
Happy Pancake Day guys!
If you’re thinking about giving lent a go then click here to read more!