A recipe for disaster

Take one clueless student, add a range of kitchen appliances they’ve never used and garnish with a stinking hangover; what you have is a recipe for calamity.

Of course, culinary mishaps are inevitable at university. Most students have been catered for all their lives by mum, so when they head off into the big wide world on their own mistakes are made. So Condor Properties decided to expose the confessions of student chefs, whose gaffes in the kitchen demonstrate a level of idiocy that could render even Gordon Ramsey speechless…

“Me and my flat mate accidentally ate half a pack of raw sausages,” says Jason Banks, a former student at Liverpool University. 
Hung over at the time, Jason and his pal had gone to a discount supermarket and bought what they wrongly assumed were cooked sausages. 
“They looked like frankfurters and we thought they were cooked so we put them between some bread and smothered them with ketchup,” he says. 
“They were a bit soft and squidgy but we kept eating them. Eventually Rich got the packet out of the bin and that’s when we realised.
“We tried to make ourselves sick but couldn’t so the next day we had food poisoning.”

Meanwhile, at Exeter University, it was a midnight snack that got Emily King into trouble. 
“One night I came home from a night out and decided to cook some cheese on toast,” says the former French student. 
“But I fell asleep on the sofa while it was under the grill.”
Emily was woken by the sound of the fire alarm, along with the other students in her block.
“It was 3am ad we had to evacuate the building; there were hundreds of students in their dressing gowns outside in the freezing cold. My flat mate was really annoyed; he’d brought a girl back and the fire alarm had interrupted them.”

It was also a cheese sandwich (and unprecedented stupidity) that got Ian Thomas into bother. In a moment of madness, the former journalism student decided to use his knee to force shut a toastie maker.
“I’d cut these fat wedges of bread and put thick slices of cheese between them,” says the ex Cardiff student.
“But it wouldn’t fit in the toastie maker so I used my knee to help close it.”
This approach might work for suitcases by not overloaded toastie machines; his knee went through the lid.
“I actually cut my knee on the broken plastic cover,” he told Condor Properties. 
“I can’t believe I was so stupid.”

So please, learn from these culinary calamities and stay safe in the kitchen. If in doubt, call mum.